Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nick's city reflection

Last week, My teacher gave us an assignment which was to give a presentation based on the city we call home. We had to find out the history, environmental factors, median age, statistical information, etc based on the chosen city. I chose Kuala Lumpur. I was actually nervous to go up to present but I got the courage to do it when I saw how well my friends gave their presentation. I thought they were really brave and presented with courage.


I think I did alright on certain parts. For example, in the historical factors section, I mentioned Kuala Lumpur's founding and when it achieved city status. In the environmental factors section, I mentioned the local vegetation, water supply and the topography. I included some graphics so that the audience could more easily understand what I was talking about. I showed a clear map of the location of my city and I also showed its origins. I gave the right statistical information like the population, and important dates in Kuala Lumpur's history.


To improve my presentation in the future, I would try and understand what I have written so that when the teacher or the audience ask me what it means, I would know how to answer. Instead of just including information that other people can find on websites, I would include information from my own experience that no one else would know of like where the best roti canai is or like which place has the best view of Kuala Lumpur. I think I should also put less animations on my presentation so there is more space to put more information. There is also more information I should include like the Petronas Twin Towers even though I did put in a picture of it.


In doing this assignment, I learnt many things about Kuala Lumpur. I did not know that Kuala Lumpur had its origins in the 1850s. I was surprised to discover that Kuala Lumpur achieved city status only in 1972 , more than a hundred years after it was founded. I had learnt in my presentation that the population in Kuala Lumpur is 1.9million. I also had not known that the Titiwangsa mountains protected the eastern side of Kuala Lumpur from the monsoon rains.

Overall, I think that I didn't do very well for the presentation. I think I didn't put enough effort into my work. I just copied a lot of information straight from websites and pasted it onto the presentation. Also, I didn't make much eye contact with the audience because I didn't memorize what I wanted to say and kept looking at the presentation which was being projected on the whiteboard. I also think I didn't present in a very interesting way.

Here is a picture of my presentation:


If you want to see my presentation visit this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment